Baklava was in my to do for a long time, my friend inspired me to make this rich Turkish Pastry.This is made of layers of Phyllo pastry and is filled with nuts and sweetened with honey or sugar syrup.At first i thought it would be a difficult one to try ,saw a lot of videos to know how this is made, and finally made it with a little Indian touch.
- Phyllo Pastry Sheets-6 sheets (found in super markets)
- Clarified butter-Half cup (for brushing).
Grind the below ingredients together coarsely and keep them aside
- Almonds-half cup
- walnuts-half cup
- Sugar-2 tbsp
For the syrup:
Boil water and sugar with the cardamom powder till you get the ONE-STRING Consistency ( like the sugar syrups you make for Gulab Jamoons)
- Water: 2 cups
- Sugar-2 cups
- a pinch of Cardamom powder (optional)
Preheat oven 350 F
- Take a baking pan, generously brush it with melted butter and set aside.
- Bring the Phyllo sheets to room temperature, keep them covered else they will get dried up.
- Take 2 sheets and fold them to half, brush melted butter generously and add the filling from edge to edge say about 2 tbsp,roll it twice,again brush it with butter and add the filling (2tbsp) and roll it till it is rolled completely.
- Repeat the procedure for the other sheets.
- Place the rolled sheets in the baking tray and cut them.
- Brush all the rolled sheets with butter.
- Now bake them till you see a nice golden color.
- Once done add the sugar syrup and leave it aside till it absorbs all the syrup.
- Remove it from the tray ,you can chop few pistachios or almonds and garnish before you serve them.
- I have pressed in 1 almond on each pieces before baking as a part of garnishing, this way the almond that is garnished tastes crunchy when you have.