Tamilnadu`s Authentic starter - nice and crispy vadai made with the mixture of coarsely ground channa dal and finely chopped banana flower. Though the cleaning process of the flower is tedious, once you taste the vadai you will feel its worth it. Each floret has a stamen which you need to remove before washing and chopping it.
- Vazhaipoo- 1 cup cleaned and chopped
- Channa dal/Bengal Gram/Kadalai paruppu -3/4 cup
- Onion- 1 finely chopped
- Green chilly - 2 finely chopped
- Ginger and Garlic- crushed (just for the flavor)
- Curry leaves and coriander leaves-chopped
- Fennel seed powder- 1tsp (you can use whole fennel seeds too)
- Salt as per taste
- Asafoetida -1/4 tsp
- Oil for deep frying
Remove the stamen from each floret, wash and finely chop the florets.Soak channa dal for about an hour, drain water and grind coarsely , to this add chopped onion, chopped flowers, green chillies, curry leaves, coriander leaves, crushed ginger garlic, fennel seed powder, asafoetida and salt. Mix and make them in shapes of small masaal vadais and deep fry them in batches.
Nice , crispy and hot Vazhaipoo Vadais are ready to be served.